Visit Our FaceBook Page
Follow Us on Twitter @discoveryhsnc
Download the Latest Discovery High School Weekly Email Update for 10-10-14
To subscribe, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Check out the New Discovery High School Principal's Blog!
Discovery High School
301 West 18th Street
Newton, NC 28658
Phone Number: 828-466-5581
NEW FEATURE: DOWNLOAD THE LATEST MORNING ANNOUNCEMENTS HERE!
IMPORTANT! ALL PARENTS OF DISCOVERY STUDENTS PLEASE RESPOND
Parents, Discovery High School will requiring all of its students to have access to a laptop second semester. This means students can either use their own laptop or use a school-issued laptop. Students will need this device to complete much of their classwork.
To facilitate our being able to order laptops for our students, we are asking everyone of our current parents to complete a laptop form (see below). On this form, we're asking for the name of the student, and a simple checkmark beside either the option indicating your child will use their own personal laptop or needs a school-issued laptop. We need this information as soon as possible. You may also email the principal, email@example.com to indicate your preference as well. Just include your child's name and your preference.
Laptop Form Word Format Laptop Form PDF Format
Discovery High School Accepting Applications for the 2015-16 School Year
Discovery High School is a public school of choice, offering students a unique educational experience that includes:
In order to apply to Discovery High School, please do the following:
1. Download a copy of our application. (Discovery High School New Student Application Download ). You may obtain a hard copy of the application at our school office, or check with your school's guidance counselor. Also, download a copy of the teacher recommendation form. (Discovery High School New Student Teacher Recommendation Form Download ). Complete the new student application.
2. Give 3 of the Teacher Recommendations to your current teachers. At least one needs to go to a language arts teacher, another to a math teacher. The final recommendation form can be completed by any other current teacher. Have those teachers forward these recommendations in a sealed envelope to Discovery High School. We ask that these be completed by teachers only who have direct knowledge of the student's classroom abilities.
3. Submit your application to our school office located at: 301 West 18th Street, Newton, NC. (Located in the Thornton Education Center.) You may mail it or drop it by our office.
4. We will call and schedule an interview appointment once we have receive your completed application. Interviews will be scheduled on February 27 and 28, 2015.
5. Submit a signed copy of the release form (Discovery High School Release Form ) with your application.
For more information regarding Discovery High School, or to schedule a visit or tour, please contact Discovery High School at 828-464-3191, or email Principal John Robinson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A small high school experience. At less that 200 students, our caring staff is able to get to know every one of our students. We offer students a small learning community that is highly supportive and personal.
- Using Technology to Engage in Learning. We at Discovery High School engage our students in using technology to engage in 21st century learning. We have multiple computer labs, laptop cart, and iPads used by students. We also allow students to bring their own laptops, iPads or other devices and access the Internet. We offer students open WIFI access to the Internet.
- Real-Life Learning Experiences. Discovery High School engages students in projects to solve real-world problems. Students learn academic content through project-based learning.
- Personalized Learning Experience. Discovery High School provides each student with a personalized learning experience.
- College Preparatory Curriculum. All Discovery High School students engage in a rigorous curriculum and graduate meeting the minimum admission's requirements for the North Carolina University system. We strive to make sure all of our students graduate with college options.
DEADLINE FOR 2015-16 APPLICATIONS IS Friday, February 13, 2015